Cakery Friday: Brown Sugar Cupcakes

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

A friend of mine recently returned from a trip, raving about the most ridiculous cupcake. He implored me to copy it. Always up for a good baking challenge, I delved into the pantry. Low and behold, my brown sugar cupcakes were born. And trust me, you’ll meed to try them. Again. Oh, and again.

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

Gather all of the ingredients.

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl combine 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir to mix and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar with 1 large egg until smooth. Add in 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup unsalted butter that has been melted and cooled. Continue to whisk together.

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

Finally, fold in the flour mixture mixing with a spoon until batter is smooth.

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

Using a 1/4 cup scoop, add the batter to a cupcake pan filled with liners. Bake for 16-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

Ice with your favorite butter cream recipe, or use mine! Dust with some brown sugar.

Happy Baking!

brown sugar cupcakes / papery & cakery

For a printer-friendly version of this recipe click here: Brown Sugar Cupcakes

xoxo,

Ali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Comments on Cakery Friday: Brown Sugar Cupcakes

1. Jan
    August 31, 2015 at 3:57 am (2 years ago)

Wish I’d read comments ahead of time, mine (for what reason I’m not sure !?) were inedible and as others have mentioned it was a firm dough rather than batter….this recipe tasted strongly of baking soda. Really not a good experience….my FIRST fail of an online recipe : – (

2. Brenda
    April 29, 2015 at 11:48 pm (3 years ago)

I added milk as mentioned by the other commenters and I followed everything exactly in the recipe. The cakes smell nice but they taste strongly of baking powder.

3. Marta
    February 19, 2015 at 3:04 pm (3 years ago)

The picture of ingredients shows milk, but no mention in the directions. I added 3/4 cup milk. Also this recipe makes 12 cupcakes (also not mentioned). Fortunately I am a long-time baker and realized the mistake before setting up in the cupcake liners. Will see how they turn out.

4. sheryl
    November 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm (3 years ago)

Mine too sank in the middle and the batter was dough like. seems like the recipe is missing something.

5. Jules
    September 8, 2014 at 2:28 pm (3 years ago)

I found the batter a little too thick, so I added half a cup of milk.

The end result was light, fluffy, delicious cupcakes.

Thanks for the recipe!

6. Emily
    February 5, 2014 at 1:54 am (4 years ago)

I need to agree with Nicole. I followed the receive but the batter was the consistency of dough and the cakes sank as they baked. Is there an ingredient missing? Milk perhaps? They taste great although they were rather hard.

7. Nicole
    November 28, 2013 at 8:51 am (4 years ago)

Hmmm, I tried these today and for some reason when I added the flour it became more of a dough than a batter. I followed the recipe exactly. They’re baking now and they’re just not right. Luckily though I’m just filling them with pecan pie filling so they should still work out, as long as they taste good!

8. Scott
    August 3, 2013 at 8:53 am (4 years ago)

The friend who recommended them must be smart, funny and all around good guy. Did I mention I ate 4 of These cupcakes in one night. They were the best!

9. Lara
    August 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm (4 years ago)

I can attest that they were so much better than the ‘original’ culprit. So delish! You are the best!!

10. Jessica
    August 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm (4 years ago)

Rookie baker and I was wondering what type of muffin cups those are you have used? Is there somewhere online you get them?

11. joanne
    August 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm (4 years ago)

I love all your recipes and ideas, thanks!