Love Postage Stamp Map

Being in the stationery business has made me an avid lover of postage stamps. One might even call me a philatelist.

Since I assist many of my customers with wedding postage, I’m especially fond of love stamps.

We used this combination of vintage love stamps on Ali’s wedding invitations this year. I was smitten.

While researching postage stamps on eBay, I came across this retailer of postmarked vintage love stamps. The price was almost nil {it is a used stamp after all}, but I was intrigued. There’s something romantic about postmarked stamps, isn’t there?  After my stamps arrived, it was time to get crafty. And so I  created…. a map of love!

First, I painted my 20 x 36 with blue acrylic paint.

Next, I freehanded a map of the U.S. in pencil. {Here’s a great printable to work from, just be sure to scale it to your canvas}.

Next, paint the canvas {section by section} with a thin layer of mod podge. Layer the stamps inside the map. Once completely filled in, paint the entire canvas with 2 layers of mod podge on top of the stamps. This will leave you with a shiny, lacquered finish. {If you aren’t into the shine, you can always use matte mod podge.}

Voila: a map of love {stamps that is}.

xoxo,

Niki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

8 Comments on Love Postage Stamp Map

1. Aimee
    October 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

Oops, there should only be one “l” in philatelic!

2. Aimee
    October 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm (2 years ago)

I really like your stamp map. By the way, someone who collects stamps is called a “philatelist,” not a “philatellic.”

3. Ali feldman
    September 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm (2 years ago)

We just painted our canvas over here at Saint Andrew’s! Can’t wait to show you guys the finished product.

4. Papery and Cakery
    August 24, 2012 at 11:05 am (2 years ago)

Thans Jennie! The stamps came in packs of 150. I ordered 3 of them but didn’t use them all but it gave me a wider variety so nothing the same was next to each other. Also the canvas was 20 by 36 not 18 by 24. Just updated that in the post.

5. Jennie Gift
    August 24, 2012 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

This is great! I love it… how many stamps would you say you ended up using for this project?

6. alyson
    August 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm (2 years ago)

OMG, LOVE this!!!