Paint Chip Wall

If I had a give you a list of my top dislikes it would include the following: bananas {ick}, scratchy sheets on my bed, Ā paper cuts and blank walls. Yes, you heard me right. I hate blank walls. As someone who grew up in a house of colors, photos and craziness, there’s nothing that annoys me more than big empty walls.

That’s why, when we first moved into our home last July, I was immediately filled with angst when we found ourselves with a giant, empty wall. A wall that was originally graced with a faux fireplace and giant alter {not quite my style} but now was drywalled and painted perfectly white.

For the past seven months I have hated looking at that empty wall. And I look at it many many times a day {and night, that’s what happens when you have babies}.

But at the same time, I haven’t been able to commit myself to anything for the wall. Did I mention it is gigantically, overwhelmingly huge?!

No photograph would do it justice. No piece of art seemed to fit the bill. And so I decided, I was going to have to make something myself to satisfy this gargantuan.

And so I did.

Let me walk you through the steps.

Step One: Perpetrator Niki enters Home Depot on four separate occasions in order to take every known paint chip made by Behr. {There may or may not be a wanted ad with my face on it}.

Step Two: Perp Niki purchases 24 18 by 24 canvases at Michaels (on buy one half off days, you need to get the app).

Step Three: Perp Niki lays out Behr paint chips, weeding out some of the more “sad” or “dull” colors to create a rainbow/ombre effect. Specifically I used Behr 100 – 600 A, B and C in color order.

Step Four: Paint chips are laid out on canvases and glued accordingly with a spray adhesive.

Step Five: Canvases are laid out on the floor and viewed from multiple angles until the arrangement is satisfying.

Step Six: Canvases are attached to giant eyesore of a blank wall. Artist is satisfied. Giant sigh of relief.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Comments on Paint Chip Wall

1. use this link
    March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

Modern graphics cards videos impresionantes possess GPUs which are among the most powerful men in
    the country. YouTube – Official Big Brother UKLinda let ripAnd not one to stay
    quiet, Jasmine called him” obnoxious” and said:” I don’t understand a word he says, if you rent a game for a few customizations.

2. Nancy Lee
    November 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm (3 years ago)

I love this! I’ve always wanted to do it, and you validate my quirky taste. Loved your description and photos. I giggled. Thanks!

3. lisa
    June 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm (3 years ago)

Did you have to trim the paint chips or overlap or did they fit exactly?
    I love it.

4. Dianrez
    May 5, 2013 at 10:48 am (3 years ago)

A better idea than ripping off the paint store’s chips is to have someone with a wide format printer print out 24″ or 48″ wide sheets of Pantone colors. The colors can be in any shape desired. The cost will be about $7 to $15 per square foot. A more expensive outlet will be Kinko’s (now UPS Store) so seek out the independent art printer.

5. bonitarose
    July 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm (4 years ago)

this may in fact, be the BEST IDEA EVER.

6. Mia
    May 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm (4 years ago)

I love this! Best idea ever, I showed my cousins and we all agreed we have to do it!(:

7. Nancy
    May 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm (4 years ago)

Love this! How did you attach all the paint chips to the canvas?

May 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm (4 years ago)

It is beautiful, like a waterfall of color. Great job and great inspiration. I do am on the wanted list, it has been a long time since I got the glare of the paint lady.

9. Erin @ The Great Indoors
    March 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm (5 years ago)

What a great project! I’m totally with you on hating empty walls, although thankfully I don’t have a wall nearly that large to fill! Wonderful job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

10. Meghan, RVA
    March 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm (5 years ago)

Hooooooly moly. Gorgeous. Well done.

11. Michelle
    March 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm (5 years ago)

By far my FAVORITE paint chip project to date. (…and there are only 7,433,946 of them on Pinterest.) LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!

12. Sherry L
    March 15, 2012 at 11:47 am (5 years ago)

This is AMAZING! You should be very proud! I can imagine my self walking past the wall just to gaze and admire my work! (if it were mine) šŸ™‚

13. alyson
    February 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm (5 years ago)

this is so amazing! i am almost most impressed about how well it’s hung. That would be the hardest part! haha.

PS: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the shout out in a past post about the make- up brushes. Loving the round vase you used. xo

February 20, 2012 at 8:20 am (5 years ago)

15. Paula
    February 20, 2012 at 6:31 am (5 years ago)

Heavens! What a wonderful wall! P

16. Colleen
    February 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm (5 years ago)

oh.em.gee!!! amazing AmAzInG AMAZING!!!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Paint Chip Wall

1. […] sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, […]

2. […] / Peekaboo Coffee Table / Peekaboo Nesting Tables / Paint Chip Wall / White Sofa Slipcovers / Trina Turk Pillow Covers fabric, fabric, fabricĀ and fabricĀ customĀ made […]

3. […] DIY Ombre Art from ‘Papery & Cakery’ – TUTORIAL HERE […]