Paint Chip Wall

If I had a give you a list of my top dislikes it would include the following: bananas {ick}, scratchy sheets on my bed,  paper cuts and blank walls. Yes, you heard me right. I hate blank walls. As someone who grew up in a house of colors, photos and craziness, there’s nothing that annoys me more than big empty walls.

That’s why, when we first moved into our home last July, I was immediately filled with angst when we found ourselves with a giant, empty wall. A wall that was originally graced with a faux fireplace and giant alter {not quite my style} but now was drywalled and painted perfectly white.

For the past seven months I have hated looking at that empty wall. And I look at it many many times a day {and night, that’s what happens when you have babies}.

But at the same time, I haven’t been able to commit myself to anything for the wall. Did I mention it is gigantically, overwhelmingly huge?!

No photograph would do it justice. No piece of art seemed to fit the bill. And so I decided, I was going to have to make something myself to satisfy this gargantuan.

And so I did.

Let me walk you through the steps.

Step One: Perpetrator Niki enters Home Depot on four separate occasions in order to take every known paint chip made by Behr. {There may or may not be a wanted ad with my face on it}.

Step Two: Perp Niki purchases 24 18 by 24 canvases at Michaels (on buy one half off days, you need to get the app).

Step Three: Perp Niki lays out Behr paint chips, weeding out some of the more “sad” or “dull” colors to create a rainbow/ombre effect. Specifically I used Behr 100 – 600 A, B and C in color order.

Step Four: Paint chips are laid out on canvases and glued accordingly with a spray adhesive.

Step Five: Canvases are laid out on the floor and viewed from multiple angles until the arrangement is satisfying.

Step Six: Canvases are attached to giant eyesore of a blank wall. Artist is satisfied. Giant sigh of relief.

xoxo,

Niki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Older comments

21 Comments on Paint Chip Wall

1. remodeling contractor
    June 16, 2014 at 5:43 am (3 months ago)

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest
    thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they
    plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the
    nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people
    can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks

2. use this link
    March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm (5 months ago)

Modern graphics cards videos impresionantes possess GPUs which are among the most powerful men in
    the country. YouTube – Official Big Brother UKLinda let ripAnd not one to stay
    quiet, Jasmine called him” obnoxious” and said:” I don’t understand a word he says, if you rent a game for a few customizations.

3. Nancy Lee
    November 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm (9 months ago)

I love this! I’ve always wanted to do it, and you validate my quirky taste. Loved your description and photos. I giggled. Thanks!

4. lisa
    June 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm (1 year ago)

Did you have to trim the paint chips or overlap or did they fit exactly?
    I love it.

5. Dianrez
    May 5, 2013 at 10:48 am (1 year ago)

A better idea than ripping off the paint store’s chips is to have someone with a wide format printer print out 24″ or 48″ wide sheets of Pantone colors. The colors can be in any shape desired. The cost will be about $7 to $15 per square foot. A more expensive outlet will be Kinko’s (now UPS Store) so seek out the independent art printer.

6. bonitarose
    July 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm (2 years ago)

this may in fact, be the BEST IDEA EVER.
    breathtaking!

7. Mia
    May 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

I love this! Best idea ever, I showed my cousins and we all agreed we have to do it!(:

8. Nancy
    May 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm (2 years ago)

Love this! How did you attach all the paint chips to the canvas?

9. JACKIE
    May 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE IT ! LOVE IT ! LOVE IT!

It is beautiful, like a waterfall of color. Great job and great inspiration. I do am on the wanted list, it has been a long time since I got the glare of the paint lady.

10. Erin @ The Great Indoors
    March 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm (2 years ago)

What a great project! I’m totally with you on hating empty walls, although thankfully I don’t have a wall nearly that large to fill! Wonderful job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

Erin

11. Meghan, RVA
    March 15, 2012 at 1:03 pm (2 years ago)

Hooooooly moly. Gorgeous. Well done.

12. Michelle
    March 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm (2 years ago)

By far my FAVORITE paint chip project to date. (…and there are only 7,433,946 of them on Pinterest.) LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!

13. Sherry L
    March 15, 2012 at 11:47 am (2 years ago)

This is AMAZING! You should be very proud! I can imagine my self walking past the wall just to gaze and admire my work! (if it were mine) :)

14. alyson
    February 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm (3 years ago)

this is so amazing! i am almost most impressed about how well it’s hung. That would be the hardest part! haha.

PS: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the shout out in a past post about the make- up brushes. Loving the round vase you used. xo

15. JANET GROSS
    February 20, 2012 at 8:20 am (3 years ago)

AWESOME!!!

16. Paula
    February 20, 2012 at 6:31 am (3 years ago)

Heavens! What a wonderful wall! P

17. Colleen
    February 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm (3 years ago)

oh.em.gee!!! amazing AmAzInG AMAZING!!!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Paint Chip Wall

1. [...] sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, [...]

2. [...] / Peekaboo Coffee Table / Peekaboo Nesting Tables / Paint Chip Wall / White Sofa Slipcovers / Trina Turk Pillow Covers fabric, fabric, fabric and fabric custom made [...]

3. [...] DIY Ombre Art from ‘Papery & Cakery’ – TUTORIAL HERE [...]