Cakery Friday: Beignets

I spent last weekend eating my way through New Orleans, and I had to share some of the wonderful tastes of the Big Easy with you. The only catch is… I used a mix! These beignets taste so good, I hope you forgive me for cheating! I’ve tried to make beignets from scratch, but the truth is the mix is superior (the ultimate is getting yourself to New Orleans and eating fresh beignets from Cafe Du Monde in person, but this is the next best thing!) You can purchase the mix on Cafe Du Monde’s website.

Beignet is actually the French word for “fried dough” and these have been made famous in the U.S. by Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. They are also the official state doughnut of Louisiana. Don’t you think every state needs its own official doughnut?

It has become a family tradition for years that my Dad an I make these delicious doughnuts for an annual family breakfast at our cabin in Arkansas (Arkansas you say? Very long story for a future blog).

There really aren’t many ingredients to gather. Start simply by pulling out the box

Place two cups of beighnets mix in a large bowl.

Add 7 ounces of water (add the water slowly and mix, you want the dough to be slightly sticky but not very wet).

Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness.

Cut into 2 inch squares.

Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a pan and heat to 370 degrees. Place each dough square into the hot oil (be careful not to burn yourself!) basting continually on each side until puffy and light golden.

Drain well.

Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and be sure to eat them warm (with a cup of Cafe Du Monde chicory coffee).

Mine looked almost as good as the ones from Cafe Du Monde!

Happy Beignet Day! Be sure to get yourself to the Big Easy soon to eat these at the real live Cafe Du Monde. In the meantime, hope you enjoy bringing a little piece of Cafe Du Monde into your kitchen.

xoxo,

Ali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Comments on Cakery Friday: Beignets

1. ????????
    May 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm (5 months ago)

Hey there! I’ve been following your blog for some time now and
    finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble
    Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great work!

2. youtube.com
    May 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm (5 months ago)

Can you tell us more about this? I’d want to find out some additional information.

3. youtube.com
    May 19, 2014 at 1:17 am (6 months ago)

Awesome things here. I’m very happy to look your post.
    Thank you so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch
    you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

4. the cape
    May 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm (6 months ago)

Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having
    problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

5. Dragons World Cheats
    May 8, 2014 at 9:04 am (6 months ago)

Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make
    my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme.

Appreciate it

6. www.feedbigcats.co.uk
    April 1, 2014 at 3:51 am (7 months ago)

Those trips to the vet will leave your vehicle smelling being a sewer and
    zilch can get that smell out. If your furry friend is sick which is not getting
    better this will cause him stress and unhappiness just
    as it would you. I grieved because she needed emergency surgery and
    didn’t survive the night.

7. http://www.youtube.com
    March 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm (7 months ago)

obviously like your web site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Several of them are rife with spelling problems and
    I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality however
    I will surely come back again.

8. www.cnikky.com
    March 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm (8 months ago)

True, there are comedians that cuss a lot,
    but you got to earn that right before you do that. But you can’t just stand there
    grinning like an idiot until they finish laughing. These surgeries are a matter of personal preference,
    peer pressure from fellow entertainers and the need to maintain an unrealistic image that is associated with them.

9. Victoria
    January 1, 2014 at 12:57 pm (10 months ago)

Very nice article. I definitely love this site. Stick
    with it!

10. Les
    January 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm (10 months ago)

This article will help the internet viewers for creating new
    website or even a blog from start to end.

11. Lorene
    February 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm (5 years ago)

I was in New Orleans last September and it was kind of ridiculous how many times we ate at Cafe du Monde. Their beignets are amazing! I bought the mix as well. One thing I learned in making them was to make sure they were submerged in the oil when you first put them in. Otherwise they didn't puff up properly.